How You Can Help
Pets of the Homeless, a nonprofit organization, is taking action to help pets of the homeless in communities across the United States and Canada. We are immeasurably grateful for collection site members and supporters who make this work a reality. There is no cost to enroll although donations are greatly appreciated to help defer processing costs and assist with all our programs who provide care for pets of the homeless.
There are many ways individuals can make a difference for pets of the homeless.
How Can I Help?
What is needed:
Individuals to spread the word about the mission of Pets of the Homeless to family members, friends, co-workers and local businesses. Sharing the work of Pets of the Homeless can easily be accomplished by providing the website petsofhomeless.org and email@example.com in email, phone calls and by word of mouth.
Volunteers willing to offer time at local soup kitchens or food banks. This may open the door to encourage their additional assistance in helping the pets of their homeless clients. Ask if they will partner with a Pets of the Homeless collection site member who will provide donated pet food.
Volunteer Recruiters to ask veterinarians, pet stores, groomers and other retail stores if they have heard of the nonprofit organization, Pets of the Homeless. Determine if they would be willing to become a Collection Site. Pets of the Homeless will provide materials and decals to help recruiters sign up collection sites. Click here for more information.
Volunteer Collections Sites receive donated pet food and supplies from their clients and the community. Collection sites can be veterinary clinics/hospitals, pet stores, groomers, feed stores, and other types of retail stores. We have dentist offices, banks, real estate companies and schools as member collection sites. Click here to become a Collection Site.
Volunteers to re-package donated pet food into quart sized baggies and deliver to the distribution sites with prior agreement of a member collection site.
Most homeless with pets are transit and move around daily seeking shelter, food, water and bathrooms. Distribution centers (Food Banks/Soup Kitchens) need to have the pet food repackaged in smaller quantities to give away. Larger bags of food are impossible for the homeless to manage. Can you imagine carrying 25 pounds of pet food?
Food Banks, Homeless Shelters and Soup Kitchens to agree to distribute the pet food from our member collection sites to the homeless and impoverished. Sign up to distribute pet food by using the Become a Distributor of Donated Pet Food form.
Suggestions to assist Food Bank/Soup Kitchens. Ask all your clients if they have a pet. Clients are usually surprised by the question. If they answer, "Yes", hand them a quart Ziploc bag of cat/dog food. Advise the client to ask for pet food at their next visit. Once the word spreads, those with pets will start asking for pet food.
Talk about the Pets of the Homeless Grant Program. Advise local veterinarians and nonprofit organizations about the Pets of the Homeless Grant Program. Volunteer veterinarians and assistants are needed to go to places where the homeless congregate to administer veterinary care to pets of the homeless. Pets of the Homeless provides grants to help defer costs for wellness clinics that provide immunizations, de-worming, flea/tick care, spay/neutering and other care.
7 Ways in 7 Days. Every day pets of the homeless go hungry across the nation. Please take a look at the suggested activities and match them with your time and talents to help those who have very little. Together, we can make a difference in the lives of thousands of pets!
Here are a few of the 7 ways in 7 days we suggest you do to get involved. As you can see, some are quite simple to do and others may be a challenge -- but go for it, we'll love anything you can do!
- "Like" Pets of the Homeless on Facebook. (click here)
- Ask your Facebook friends to "like" Pets of the Homeless' s page.
- Watch the Pets of the Homeless Video (click here) and share it on Facebook.
- Have a bake sale or fundraiser and donate the proceeds to Pets of the Homeless.
- Talk to your family, friends, co-workers about the fact that 3.5 million people are homeless and 10-20% have pets that need pet food and veterinary care.
- Bring a bag lunch to work and donate the money you save that day at petsofthehomeless.org
- Send a donation in honor of your pet. (click here)
- Do your own You Tube Video about why you believe in Pets of the Homeless.
- Talk to your Family about the fact that it costs $7.52 day to feed and provide basic vet care for an average size dog.
- Give hungry pets a voice. Write a letter to the newspaper editor about Pets of the Homeless.
- Do your own You Tube Video about why you volunteer.
- Organize a brown-bag lunch with co-workers and donate your lunch money to Pets of the Homeless.
- Talk to your child's teacher about the Read for Scruffy program. (click here)
- Talk to your company about making it a collection site and lead the efforts.
- Talk to your local food bank about distributing pet food and notify us if they will.
If you have other ideas, please share them with us and with others so we can make a greater difference in the lives of pets that belong to the homeless.
Talk about our Sleeping Crate Project. If you are working or volunteering at a homeless shelter let them know that Pets of the Homeless will ship collapsible sleeping crates, food bowls and cleaning supplies. Click here for more information
Gifts of cash allow us to continue to do our work. Award grants, purchase and ship pet food to local food banks, pantries or soup kitchens, purchase and ship sleeping crates to homeless shelters so pets can come in out of the cold and heat, and for operational expenses associated with the ongoing business needs of the organization. All donations are tax deductible. For ways to donate click here.